Last updated on August 20th, 2023 at 04:42 pm
Have you ever turned up at the beach without a leash or wax?
It’s a whole heap of no fun, and working your way around the car park trying to borrow wax won’t make you overly popular.
With that in mind, we’ve created a definitive list of the best surf accessories so you’ll never get caught short on a surf trip again.
Surfing Accessories You Can’t Live Without
Starting with the absolute essentials down to the luxury options, here’s our list of items we use to make surfing and finding waves an absolute breeze.
- Cord Thickness: 5.5mm.
- Wave Size: 0 – 4 ft.
- In-cuff silicone grip, preventing ankle twisting
- Designed in collaboration with the world’s leading surf athletes and surfboard shapers, the FCS…
- – Extra strength moulded velcro – Extended overmould reduces tangles – Contoured horn conforms to…
A surfboard leash is a cord that attaches your ankle to your surfboard, keeping the board close to you and easy to recover when you bail and wipe out.
It’s critical for two reasons:
- It prevents your board from getting away and potentially hitting someone else
- It prevents your board from washing away when you’re far out to sea, leaving you to swim back to shore
While some ‘cool cats’ at places like Byron Bay think it’s trendy to surf without a leash, the honest result is nasty head injuries and worse concussions.
You don’t need to spend a fortune on a surfboard leash, but it is an essential surfing accessory, not just for your safety but for everyone else.
- ➤MATERIAL: Made of high-quality and durable glass fiber, durable and safe, providing good support…
- ➤INCLUDE: Thruster Fin Set = 3 Fins(left, right, & center fin) & 1 Key & 1 Fin bag
- ➤FINS fit any surfboard that uses Twin Tab or Single Tab fins (select which kind) – whether it’s a…
- ➤FEATURE: The fins produced by the glass fiber skin have higher rigidity and better flexibility…
- ➤EASY TO INSTALL: No need to use any professional tools, easy and fast to use.
The small, fin-shaped attachments on the bottom of your board help you control your direction and speed while surfing.
Fins provide stability and manoeuvrability, helping you carve through the wave’s face with precision and ease.
Different fin setups affect your board’s performance, so experimenting with different configurations can make for experimental fun.
The most popular fin setups are:
- Single fin: A classic setup that uses one large centre fin. It offers good stability and control but less manoeuvrability than other setups.
- Twin fin: This setup uses two smaller fins, allowing for a looser, more manoeuvrable feel. Twin fins are popular on smaller, more playful waves.
- Thruster (or tri-fin): This is the most common fin setup and uses three equally sized fins. This setup provides a good balance of stability and manoeuvrability and is a go in most high-performance shortboards.
- Quad fin: This setup uses four fins, with two larger side fins and two smaller rear fins. Quad fins offer good down-the-line speed and are great for powerful barreling waves.
- Bonzer: A unique fin setup that combines smaller fins and channels or runners on the bottom of the board.
Head over to Jack’s Surfboard’s massive fin selection to check out how you can change how your board feels under your feet.
- EVERYDAY CARRY SURF MULTI-TOOL – This EDC tool for surfers includes surfboard / paddle board 3/32″…
- IDEAL SURF KEY TOOL FOR SUP & SURF FIN REPLACEMENT – High quality 3/32″ hex fin key to switch out…
- SMALL, DURABLE, PREMIUM, TRAVEL SAFE – Key ring compatible, Keyport Pivot key organizer compatible,…
- VERSATILE – This EDC keychain is not just a great surfboard accessory, it is one of the top EDC…
- TRAVEL SAFE, TSA FRIENDLY – This TSA multitool is an excellent gift for surfers and paddle boarders….
A fin key is a small tool used to tighten and loosen the screws that attach the fins to the bottom of your board.
Without a fin key in your surf accessories, you won’t be able to carry on surfing when you snap or lose a fin.
Unlike surfboard fins, they’re universal, so you don’t need to worry about getting the right key for Futures or FCS.
Save yourself the pain of watching perfect surf with no fins and pick up a multi-pack wherever you’re surfing.
- 🏄♂️ LEASH STRING CORD fits any surfboard – shortboard, fish, funboard, longboard, or SUP.
- 💪 STRONG, THICK, DURABLE string cord has 550lb load rating.
- ✂️ PRE-CUT to proper length, and easy to attach to leash plug.
- 👍 COMPATIBLE WITH ALL BRANDS of surfboard leashes. Just loop the string through the leash plug of…
- 🛡 PROTECTS YOUR SURFBOARD: Leash string at correct length, allows your leash’s rail saver to…
Your leash string is a thin, durable cord that attaches your leash to your surfboard.
It’s tied through a small hole or loop on the board’s tail and provides a secure attachment point for the leash.
Without a leash string, you won’t be able to attach your leash to your board, making it impossible to use, so it’s a small but essential component of any surf setup.
These normally come alongside a new leash, but if you want to be safe, you can grab one here or pop into your local surf shop (they might even give you one for free if you ask nicely).
- 🏄♂️ Surf Poncho makes changing in and out of your wetsuit EASY, COMFORTABLE, and WARM.
- ☝️ ONE SIZE FITS ALL – even tall guys like Stevie! Other ponchos are SHORT and can still leave…
- 💯 100% COTTON is warm, soft on your skin, dries quickly, and is good for the environment. Machine…
- 💦 ABSORBS WATER – Poncho doubles as a towel to dry yourself after surfing, so you don’t need an…
- 🎁 PERFECT GIFT for that hard-to-please surfer. Whether it’s Christmas, a birthday, graduation,…
A towel poncho is a large, hooded towel that you can wear before and after your surf session to dry off and change out of your wetsuit or swimwear in privacy.
It’s a convenient and comfortable way to stay warm and covered up when you’re changing, and the hood helps when it’s raining.
And as an added bonus, it protects your car seats from getting wet or sandy when driving to your second surf of the day!
- This bag is designed for the traveling surfer taking 2-3 boards. Cut 25″ wide with a 5″ gusset to…
- Includes Internal divider and seat belt straps, four exterior compression straps and 600 Denier poly…
- Multiple interior storage/fin pockets. Vent to allow air flow to keep boards cool.
- Adjustable deluxe shoulder strap with Velcro closure system.
- Exterior side pocket for tie downs/molded rubber handles on ends and side.
A surfboard or board bag is a protective cover for your surfboard that helps prevent it from getting dinged, scratched, or damaged between surfs.
It’s usually made of durable materials like nylon or polyester and features padding or insulation to provide extra cushioning for your board.
They typically come in two forms:
- The day bag – Suited to daily sessions and motor travel to and from the beach, these single-board bags are perfect for keeping your board surf shop fresh. Here’s our favourite from the team over at Dakine.
- The travel bag – Designed for air and boat travel rigours, these bags offer much more protection for your surfboard with rubber around the rail, nose and tail and the option to carry multiple boards. This one from Pro-Lite has served me worldwide, from Indo to Europe, with no damage yet.
- Instant Fix, UV Resistant, Water Proof Ding Tape
- 2″x3″ – 5 pieces Tape
- SUP Pack – 3″x6″ – 6 pieces Tape
- Travel Pack – (5 pcs – 2″x3″), (4 pcs – 3″x4″), (3 pcs – 3″x6″)
- Surfboard repair patches
Clear ding tape is a transparent, adhesive tape that can repair minor dings or cracks on your surfboard.
You can apply it directly over the damaged area to provide a temporary fix until you can make more permanent repairs (more on that later down the list).
This is a must-have in your car or surf bag because it helps prevent water from seeping into your board and causing irreparable damage.
It’s a quick and easy solution that can save you time and money in the long run!
I’ve used Phix Doctor ding tape ten times plus now, and I wouldn’t ever go on a surf or a trip without it.
- PROTECT YOUR EARS – Keep water out with our cutting edge design double curved wing and tilted core…
- COMFORTABLE FIT – The silicone surfer earplug tips are thinner, softer, and have a customizable…
- LET SOUND IN KEEP WATER OUT – The worlds only surfer ear plugs that helps protect your ears without…
- FAST & EASY TO USE – Improved leash for quick attachment and detachment & a foolproof fitting with…
- TRAVEL READY – Premium eco-friendly packaging designed for simple, reusable ear plug storage
Worn in the ears to protect them from cold water, wind, and other irritants while surfing, these are a lifesaver if you live near a chilly ocean.
They help prevent a condition known as surfer’s ear, which is a narrowing of the ear canal caused by exposure to cold water and wind over time.
Surfer’s ear can lead to hearing loss, infections, and other nasty complications, so it’s a good idea to wear them early.
My recommendation’s a pair of Surf Ears from Creatures of Leisure, but you can pick up some cheaper options if you need to keep costs down.
- Seam sealed waterproof roll top wet/ dry pocket
- YKK zippered main compartments
- Breathable mesh back panel
- Fleece lined sunglass pocket
- Tarp lined wax pocket
A surfing backpack is pretty much what it says on the tin, a specialized backpack designed for surfers to carry all their gear to and from the waves.
It typically features compartments for your wetsuit, towel, wax, sunscreen, and other surf accessories.
The main attraction here is the waterproof inner lining, which means you won’t have a soggy back on your walk back to the car.
- WILL NOT STAIN YOUR CAR SEATS LIKE CHEAPER CAR SEAT COVERS: Our neoprene material offers a Universal…
- No-Slip Backing: Unique, ANTI SLIP backing eliminates slipping and bunching like cheap car seat…
- Won’t Stick to Skin: Unlike nylon seat protectors, ours won’t stick when it’s hot or after a…
- Bonus Seat Belt Protector Velcro Fastener Included: Yours FREE with purchase! Handy neoprene seat…
- 2 Year Replacement Guarantee: We want you to be thrilled with your purchase! That’s why we back our…
Waterproof seat covers are protective covers for your car seats that are designed to prevent them from getting wet, sandy and dirty when you stay in your wetsuit to drive to another spot.
They’re essential for any surfer who wants to keep their car seats clean and dry while protecting them from the corrosive effects of saltwater and sand.
They also do a good job of stopping that unpleasant wetsuit smell from seeping into your car’s upholstery.
*Pro tip – This is one of those cases where cheaper options are not cut out for wetsuits, salt, and sand rigours, so make sure to get a sturdy, rugged cover like those from Northcore.
- Save your hands, fins and boxes with the fin removal & installation Tool from FINPULLER, a must have…
The Finpuller is a small, specialized tool you can use to remove any style of fins from your surfboard.
It’s got a two-fold benefit, no chance of damage to your fibreglass or fin plugs, and it saves the pain of trying to knock out a particularly stubborn fin.
This one’s a real lifesaver if you haven’t changed your fins in a few months, and they’re caked in with dried sea salt.
- 5K Video – Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining detail even when…
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto: Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And with…
- Front Display plus Rear Touch Screen: A new, larger rear touch screen with touch zoom on HERO9 Black…
- Live Streaming plus Webcam: Live stream in 1080p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you…
- HyperSmooth 3.0: Experience the ultimate smoothness with our most advanced video stabilization…
A GoPro is a small, portable camera that lets you capture high-quality footage of your sessions.
It’s 100% waterproof and can be mounted on your surfboard, helmet, or body using a variety of accessories.
It’s a fun and innovative way to document your progress, and let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to show all their mates the last tube?
- ⏰ FAST DRY TIME – Increased airflow from vented shoulder extensions lets your wetsuit dry much…
- ❤️ EXTEND YOUR WETSUIT’S LIFESPAN – (did you know Ho Stevie! Wetsuits are available on Amazon…
- 💪 HEAVY DUTY – high strength polymer construction supports any wetsuit or drysuit you want to…
- 🏄♂️ PERFECT FOR ANY WETSUIT or DRYSUIT – Surfing, diving, swimming… fullsuit, short…
- 🔘 FOLDABLE – With the push of a button, hanger folds into compact design for easy travel, and…
This hanger is designed to hang and dry your wetsuit after your surf.
The wetsuit hanger features a wide shoulder design and non-slip material to prevent your wetsuit from stretching or slipping off the hanger.
It’s an essential accessory for any surfer who wants to extend the life of their wetsuit, and it drys a hell of a lot quicker than slinging it over the washing line.
A boot organizer is a storage container designed to keep your car trunk or back seat organized and clutter-free.
It has multiple compartments and pockets to hold your wetsuits, towels, wax, and other surf accessories.
Perfect for keeping your car clean and organized, you can store all your surf essentials in one place and don’t have to worry about them rolling around or getting lost in the trunk of your car.
You can pick one of these up for less than $30, and it’ll be some of the best money you’ve ever spent, trust me.
- SURF SKATE EXPERIENCE: Inspired by the sea but made for the city – Flow Surf Skates Bring the…
- CONCRETE SURFING: Practice your surfing maneuvers on flat days or simply go skate around town. Flow…
- FLOW TECH: The flow surf skate truck emulates the feeling of riding a surfboard. This design…
- CUSTOMIZABLE RIDE: The truck spring tension is adjustable to suit rider size and preference, making…
- CLASSIC SHAPE: The kicktail gives you tons of leverage for sidewalk slashes. It has a wide 10 inch…
This is a skateboard designed to simulate the feeling of surfing on land.
It features a longer, wider deck, larger wheels, and a unique truck system that allows for more fluid turns that replicate carving down the face of a wave.
Perfect for improving your surfing skills and balance, this is a must-have for anyone who lives somewhere with inconsistent surf or flat summer spells.
- DIGITAL SURF WATCH: The Search GPS 2 digital surf watch is small, lightweight, and durable….
- MADE FOR THE SEARCH: Rip Curl is a company for, and about, the crew on The Search. The products we…
- DESIGNED FOR PERFORMANCE: Our products are designed to make The Search a bit drier, warmer, and more…
- WATERPROOF AND DURABLE: Features a One Touch Auto-Set for 1400 tide locations, assisted GPS,…
- FOUNDED IN 1969 by Brian Singer and Doug “Claw” Warbrick, Rip Curl is one of the world’s most…
A surf watch helps you track important information about your surfing sessions, like wave size, wave count, and session length.
Some even include features like tide information, weather forecasts, and GPS tracking.
While I wouldn’t consider a surf watch a ‘must have’, it can help you identify patterns in your surfing, track your progress, and adjust your technique in the water.
Solar power bank
This is a portable device that can store energy from the sun and charge your electronic devices like your phone or camera, while you’re out shredding.
It has a small solar panel that absorbs sunlight and converts it into electricity, which is then stored in the battery bank.
These are ideal for when you’re surfing way off the beaten track in spots like Indo or Western Australia.
Surfboard repair kit
A surfboard repair kit is a set of tools and materials used to fix minor damage on your surfboard like dings or cracks.
It includes epoxy/PY resin (depending on your board’s construction), fibreglass cloth, sandpaper, mixing cups, and applicators.
It’s a convenient and cost-effective way to fix minor damage to your board without a trip to the repair guy.
A storage system designed to hold your surfboards securely and safely at home when you’re not using them.
They have a wall-mounted or freestanding design, with padded arms or brackets that hold your boards in place.
These are essential if you live in a busy residence (let’s be honest, people aren’t as careful with our boards as we are) or your surfboard collection is getting a little out of hand.
The guys at Grassracks make the best surfboard storage (bamboo/birch) we’ve ever used, so we can’t recommend anyone else.
- Hardcover Book
- Sutherland, Bruce (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 446 Pages – 11/20/2018 (Publication Date) – Low Pressure Publishing (Publisher)
The Stormrider Guide is a series of surf guidebooks that provide detailed local knowledge and tips about surfing spots worldwide, like wave quality, water temperature, and local surf culture.
Each guidebook includes maps, photos, and in-depth descriptions of the best surf spots in the area.
The Stormrider Guide is great for any surfer exploring new surf spots and putting themselves on the best waves for their skill level.